Built on an illustrious heritage that stretches back 800 years, Liverpool has a global reputation for sport, music, architecture and a wealth of culture for students to explore.
Today the city is enjoying a resurgence, driven by its designation as European Capital of Culture back in 2008.
With more museums, theatres, galleries and listed buildings than in any other region outside London, Liverpool's cultural wealth has long been a major attraction.
Now one of the UK's top five retail destinations, Liverpool is where you can certainly shop until you drop at the new Liverpool One complex.
The city of Liverpool is a vibrant place to enjoy your studies, recently voted the 4th friendliest city in the world by Rough Guide with excellent transport links to airports and the capital.
Boasting more number one hit singles than any other city, Liverpool's music scene could not be more eclectic, while its nightlife is vibrant, energetic and rivals that of any other UK city.
When eating out, visitors can choose from a host of restaurants, cafes and bars that cater for all tastes and budgets.
Home to two of Europe's most famous football teams - Liverpool and Everton FC - the city's achievements in sport are internationally recognised.
Add to this a skyline with the same World Heritage Site status as The Pyramids at Giza and the Taj Mahal, Liverpool is truly the jewel in the crown of England's North West.
Location wise, Liverpool is hard to beat for it’s central position – we are:
- 2 hours away from London by train (typical costs from £60 return)
- 1 hour flight from Liverpool to Ireland (typical costs from £19.99 each way)
- 90 minutes from the beautiful Lake District area of outstanding national beauty
- 3 hours train to Edinburgh, Scotland
- Rugged coastline of North Wales is within 45 minutes drive.
Other popular cities to visit are:
- Manchester – 40 minutes by train or car
- Chester – 40 minutes by train or car
- Blackpool – 1.5 hours by train or car
- Birmingham – 1.5 hour drive, 1.5 hour train
- London - 2 hours 7 minutes