The Equal Opportunities Committee was established to eradicate discrimination and promote equality and inclusion across the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM).
The EOC works closely with the Athena SWAN Self Assessment Team and reports to LSTM's Management Committee
The duties and aims of the Committee are:
- To support the LSTM to meet the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 and associated Public-Sector Equality Duties.
- To promote continuous improvement and build capacity to ensure a best practice across the full range of protected characteristics as defined by the Equality Act 2010 (age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion and belief, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership).
- To oversee and monitor delivery of the Equality and Diversity (E&D) Strategy 2017-2020.
- To make recommendations that ensure the continued effectiveness of the E&D Strategy, E&D policy and any other underpinning policies or activities so that they remain relevant and robust within a changing environment.
- To support LSTM to deliver its Safeguarding arrangements and provide guidance where equality, diversity and safeguarding issues intersect
- To refer any safeguarding recommendations to the Safeguarding Strategic Oversight Group via the designated safeguarding officer.
- To report any equal opportunities implications and recommendations to Management Committee, and the Board of Trustees.
- To ensure Equal Opportunities Committee actions are carried out on behalf of LSTM.