The Global Programme to Eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis (GPELF) has two principal goals and recognises a number of key milestones towards achieving these goals:
1. To stop the spread of infection (interrupting transmission) through Mass Drug Administration (MDA)
- Implement MDA in all endemic areas (100% geographical coverage).
- Reduce infection below a threshold at which transmission is not sustainable in all endemic areas and stop MDA.
- Demonstrate sustained reduction of infection below the threshold no earlier than 4 years after stopping MDA
2. To alleviate the suffering of affected populations by managing morbidity and preventing disability (MMDP)
- Define burden of disease (estimates of the number of patients)
- Recommended minimum package of care available for all known lymphoedema and hydrocele patients (100% geographical coverage)